In 1986, Six Sigma was introduced by Bill Smith to improve the company’s devices that failed to meet the quality standard while he was working with Motorola. Six Sigma is a set of techniques used by companies to improve their production process, guarantee quality and eliminate errors. Most of the top organizations in the field of IT, manufacturing, healthcare, and finance follow the Six Sigma methodology.
A Six Sigma certification anywhere in the world can be a great way to improve a person’s leadership qualities. He/she can act as the primary individual to assess the defects and errors in a business process and eliminate them. The Six Sigma certification exam is a very high-level exam and an individual need to have more than just an advanced skill set and knowledge to deal with organizational errors. The Six Sigma certification is conducted in 5 levels- White Belt, Yellow Belt, Green Belt, Black Belt, and Master Black Belt. At various levels, an individual is taught various skill sets that are a part of the Six Sigma process.
Types of six sigma certifications
- White belts teach the basics of Six Sigma certification
- Yellow belts teach how and where to apply the Six Sigma concept
- Green Belts teach how to conduct advanced analysis and resolve problems systematically. Green belts help black belts with data collection and analysis
- Black Belts lead projects and are experts in their field
- Master Black Belt is the highest level of Six Sigma certification and a person at this level will develop strategy, work as consultants and train people in black belt and green belt levels.
Benefits of six sigma certification
A Six Sigma certification will help an individual to have an advantage over his competitors and develop proficiency in process improvement. In addition to this, there are numerous benefits of getting a Six Sigma certification, like the ones mentioned below:
- It helps you to reduce risks and eliminate any error or defects for your organization. With a certified Six Sigma professional, the customer complaint rate will reduce as the chances of error will be minimum. This will also take care of any cost overrun.
- Adopting Six Sigma methodologies can help improve the company culture. A certified Six Sigma professional can really drive the organization to constantly work towards eliminating errors in the business process and work towards the advancement of the organization
- Certified Six Sigma professionals can help organizations make better decisions and eliminate errors by constant analysis. An organization that can analyze a situation before implementing it will help them reach their goal easily without wasting much time
- A certified six sigma professional is trained to find out the errors in business and improve the production process. A person who is not trained with Six Sigma methodologies would find it hard to spot errors in the business or finding solutions to mitigate them
- A Six Sigma certification will provide you hands-on experience of how to conduct advanced analysis and resolve issues for an organization even before you join a real organization, this will help you utilize your skills even before you enter the industry
- The Six Sigma methodology follows stringent quality standards when it comes to ruling out manufacturing and process errors. As a certified Six Sigma professional, you will be responsible to help your organization comply with international business standards
- Implementing Six Sigma methodologies in your organization will help your organization to maintain a profitable business as well as conform with international business standards
- Six Sigma methodology is applicable in various industries, getting verified would increase your job prospects by many folds. Organizations always lookout to hire Six Sigma professionals since they can help in increasing the revenue and eliminate excess cost.
- A Six Sigma certification promises a lucrative salary. According to various surveys conducted, a Six Sigma professional is one of the highest-earning professionals in the industry today with their average salary going up to $100,000
- A Six Sigma certification can help you stay ahead of the competition and help you in career advancement. By showing your employers that you have the right skill set to analyze the organization’s function and find errors and eliminate them, will surely increase your chances of employment
- A Six Sigma certification will help nurture the managerial and leadership qualities in you. By getting the certification, you will learn how to lead a team and works towards increasing their efficiency and contribution to the business process which will automatically enhance the quality of products and services delivered by the organization to its customers.
DMAIC methodology is an integral part of the Six Sigma Initiative of an organization. The methodology is used to improve processes in an organization and it is an acronym defining the following steps:
D (Define)- As a Six Sigma professional, you are responsible to define the process and improvement opportunities from both the organization and the customer point of view
M (Measure)- A Six Sigma professional should identify the critical measures and operational performances. For this, you need to collect data from various sources and compare them to determine the shortfall.
A (Analyze)- Analyze process performances to identify pain points. As a Six Sigma Professional, you need to find the gap between the goal performance and find opportunities to improve it.
I (Improve)- A Six Sigma Professional must develop an innovative solution to address any issues and make plans to implement them by creating innovative and achievable solutions.
C (Control)- As a Six Sigma professional, you should measure the solution with an associated control plan to achieve targeted outcomes. Ensure that the documentation, development, and implementation of an ongoing plan is being carried out in a systematic manner.
Six Sigma Job Requirements
Employers will give preference to candidates who have achieved a higher level of Six Sigma certification. For entry-level Six Sigma Professional, a basic knowledge of DMAIC methodology and a white belt certification is mandatory. Depending on the requirement of the organization and the size of its operations, the skillset required might increase. In addition to the certification, an organization prefers n candidate with a graduation degree in Project Management, Accounting, Finance, and Business Administration.
Depending on the belt you have and your experience in leading projects for your organization, you can easily find a job in operations, manufacturing, information technology, quality assurance, and more. With a Six Sigma Certification, you could be employed as Six Sigma consultants, production managers, quality analysts, business analysts, manufacturing engineers, process development engineers, project managers, warehouse operations managers, information technology project managers, data scientists, industrial engineers, process improvement directors, and more.
Employers are ready to pay a good salary to individuals who have a solid education background and are certified Six Sigma experts. In the US, a certified Six Sigma professional can earn anywhere between $40,00 to $75,000 depending on the size of the company and the type of business they deal with. A Six Sigma green belt can earn up to $98,000 while a black belt can expect to earn anywhere between $62,000 to $118,000. This range could go higher with experience.
Six Sigma is more than just ‘learning or training’. It’s a method based on data, furnished for the positive outcomes on the businesses. For example, using Six Sigma, GE could able to save approximately $2 billion in the year 1999. Looking at the complexity of the project the process is enhanced by controlling the variations which help in achieving a profitable business process.
In this the CHAMPIONs are:
- The executives who deal with projects by leading the Six Sigma
- The individual employees who learn the basic instructions and methodologies of Six Sigma
- The employees who implement and support the introduction of Six Sigma in the business
By now most of you, if not all, may be well aware of Six Sigma methodologies. However, here are the additional benefits that Six Sigma offer to the companies
- Strategic plans that are best to translate a business’s vision and achieve quantifiable measures
- Increases productivity by reducing organizations waste process
- It helps in enhancing employee satisfaction
- Companies can create customer value, reduce defects, reduce variation in products and services, enhance features and benefits. It allows you to rejoice high customer satisfaction and retention.
The importance of Six Sigma in business cannot be overlooked. As an employer, you will have the satisfaction of offering quality services with the help of Six Sigma certified professionals who will analyze the business flow and the production process and spot errors at every step. Eliminating those error will ensure maximum customer satisfaction and will take care of any cost overruns.
As a professional, becoming a certified Six Sigma professional is a prominent path to career advancement. No matter where you are in the world, getting certified can help you in a great way. There are many ways of doing it. If you live in a city , like Sao Paulo, you can find various online certification training courses, like the Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certification Training in Sao Paulo. These certification courses help you learn about Six Sigma and clear the certification exam.
One you are certified, you will get the opportunity to work for different domains, lead a team and drive them towards following the DMAIC methodology in business. A Six Sigma training is all that you need to be streamline the business goals of your organization and drive maximum profit. Become a certified Six Sigma professional today by signing up for a Six Sigma course near you and unveil maximum opportunities.